Wednesday, January 20, 2010

Letter from Frank King in Haiti

Letter from Frank King in Haiti
Posted by Ellen Tift Goebel at 11:12pm on January 18th, 2010
This is from Frank King who is in Haiti with Chad Snyder, giving out supplies to the people.

"Hi all. This is my attempt at blogging my day.

Frank King is an emotional wreck. Today we distributed 2 truck loads of food and a dump truck full of water to a refugee camp. Our team started at 7:00 am cooking huge pots of rice and beans to give out. We put each portion in styrafoam containers and packed a SUV and a pick-up with them. We also got an entire dumptruck load of water bags to pass out. All of this was organized by a small Haitian Church. As we were loading the trucks, singing broke out in the church and i found myself drawn inside to participate. This was amazing to me that the entire church was packed with people singing and praising God. We then loaded approximately 20 Haitian men from the church and started the convoy into Port Au Prince. What met us there is difficult to put into words. There were far more people at the camp than we expected, probably over 1000. For the most part the distribution went well, there was a lot of pushing and shoving, but we expected that. The more amazing part was that I saw people taking food, then giving it to someone else in the crowd and not taking any themselves. A saw a young girl approximately 12 years old, fight her way through the line to get food. I was impressed with her tenacity, pushing past people twice her size, to get to the front of the line. When I gave her the meal, she turned immediately and started feeding it to 2 younger children. When i asked her about this she told me that both her parents were killed and she needed to feed her little brother and sister. (She got my lunch of a granola bar and a piece of peperoni). I also saw the darker side when I spied a young man about 20, taking the food from a small child, I must admit, my temper got the better of me and I went and got the food back for the child. After we had run out of food, many people came to me to thank me for caring for them, these people had not gotten any of the food but were still grateful! They have been living in this compound for 5 days and we were the 1st people that had brought them any food! We were only 3 blocks from the Airport, where there is millions of pounds of food sitting on the tarmac. The reason for this? there are a bunch of people arguing over who and how the aid should be distributed! 1 Canadian, 1 Amarican and 20 Haitians were able to feed 50% of that camp in 20 minutes and we had come from 70 Km away. After the food and water were gone, I was approached by a very observant man that had noticed my stethascope on the dash of our truck. He asked if I could look at some people before we left. He took me first to a 17 year old girl that had a filthy bandage on her left foot. She was obviously in a lot of bain so I gave her advil and tylenol. I slowly removed the bandages to reveal a oozing wound that had almost severed her foot. It was obvious that she needed to have surgery. I redressed the wound with about a gallon of antibiotic cream and told her I would bring her to the hospital. I was then shown a young girl who had an obvious broken leg, I straightened it as best I could and applied a splint. The only other thing I could do for her was to give her Tylenol. I was then shown a 2 year old boy that his father told me was peeing bloody urine. he had scrapes and abrasions all over his little body. I tried to examine him and he screamed. It appers that his pelvis is broken. I then loaded the girl with foot injurie and the little boy into the truck to take them to the hospital neer where we are staying, only to find out that the doctors were not there until tomorrow morning. I now have 2 patients to care for overnight. It is 1 am here so I better go to bed as I have to be at the hospital at 7

Please continue to pray

No comments:

Post a Comment